Q:  What is a FOAPAL?

A:  A FOAPAL is chart code associated with an account.  It tells accounting which account to move money to or from.  The FOAPAL is the account numbers you will need to use for purchases and reimbursements.  Technical information about FOAPALs may be found here.

The basic parts of a FOAPAL are as follows: 
FUND: Source of Funding.  5 digit code, numbers only (always required).
ORGANIZATION: Unit of budgetary responsibility.  6 digit code, numbers only (always required).
ACCOUNT: Type of transaction.  6 digit code, numbers only (always required).
ACTIVITY: User defined for organization.  6 digit code, mix of numbers and characters (not always applicable). 


Q: What do I do if I have unspent funds from a Travel Advance Request (TAR) payment?

A: You will need to repay the University any unspent funds from a TAR.  This can be done when submitting your Post Travel forms.  Simply fill out the Travel Cash Advance Repayment form and include a check or cash for the unused amount (Checks should be written to "UC REGENTS").  This can be turned into the business office with your normal Post Travel forms.  The business office will do the rest. 

Travel Cash Advance Repayment form

For information on how to fill out a check for submission to UCSC, visit Cashier Duties sub section Checks. 


Q:  Who do I contact?

A:  Link to Directory page


Q:  How do I get reimbursements?

A:  Link to various reimbursement pages: Travel (TAR and Post Travel) / Direct Payments / Entertainment (ERF and ERA) / Moving & Relocation


Q:  How do I get a cash advance?

A:  Link to Travel Advance Request (TAR) page.  Please note that the Travel Advance Request is a loan and Post Travel form must be completed after travel even if the balance due is $0.  Cash advances will be processed no more than 30 days prior to trip.


Q:  I have a direct deposit, do I need to fill out a 204 form?

A:  Yes. Link to Payee Setup Forms page.  Direct Deposit for payroll does NOT verify setup in the payment & reimbursement system.  The Payee Setup 204 Form is required for reimbursement.


Q:  How do I book travel on Connexxus?

A:  Open the UCSC Financial Affairs Travel Process website. Select the icon for Connexxus. 


Q:  I have no money, how do I book travel?

A:  Use the Travel Advance Request (TAR) form.  The TAR allows you to receive a loan from the University so you may book your travels.  You can get a cash advance no more than 30 days prior to the trip. Remember, the TAR is a loan and Post Travel form must be completed after travel even if the balance due is $0.  Link to Travel Advance Request (TAR) page.


Q:  How does a student book travel?

A:  A student can book travel the same way as any other UCSC employee.  Link to Reimbursement & Travel (TAR, Post Travel)  page.


Q:  What are the rules regarding alcohol policies? (include alcohol, tax and tip calculation)

A:  Generally, alcohol is not permitted.  If included in a meal, you need to deduct the alcohol amount plus tax and tip from the reimbursement.  If alcohol is part of an entertainment event, whether being reimbursed or not, the reimbursement will be processed with Exception to Policy and under consideration to be signed by the Dean.

Link to alcohol section of reimbursements.


Q:  What is the difference between Post Travel vs. Direct Pay?

A:  Post Travel is for travel expense reimbursement requests.  Direct Pay does not include travel expenses.


Q:  Can I mix business and pleasure when I travel?

A:  Paying expenses for another traveler is not allowed unless it is for a shared hotel room. Refer to Ways to pay for more information.

  • For trips involving more than two University business travelers, refer to Group Travel for more information.


Q:  What is the policy regarding Group Travel?

A:  Link to Group Travel


Q:  Where do I send my completed forms?

A:  Link to Directory page


Q:  What needs exception to policy?

A:  Exception to policy information can vary.  It is best to speak with a business office representative.  Please look through the directory page for the individual who services the topic you are interested in.  Link to Directory page.


Q:  What restrictions are there to 19900 funds?

A: 19900 funds come from State General Funds.  These funds are restricted and all expenses on these funds must follow a set of guidelines.  UC Davis’s Accounting & Financial Services website offers an indepth breakdown of the rules to abide by when using State General Funds.  Link to UC Davis’s State General Funds page.  If you would like further information about what may or may not be expensed to 19900 funds, please contact one of the business office team members.  Link to Directory page.


Q:  What is the onboarding process for new employees?

A: If you are a new Faculty, please contact your Research Analyst.  If you are a Non-Faculty, please speak with your supervisor.  If you are a supervisor onboarding an employee, please contact Denise Goss from the Business Office for guidance on what forms to fill out.


Q:  Where can I get the following forms?  

A: Download the most current version of your form from the Business Office Forms page.

CruzBuy Account
Direct payment
Entertainment reporting (erf & met)
Entertainment reporting addendum (travel or pro card)
FIS System Access
Moving relocation reimbursement
Payee setup 204
Post travel expense
Travel advance request (tar)
Travel cash advance repayment
ProCard Account
Signature Authority


Q:  May I invite spouses/partners to attend events?

A:  Yes, but the event will require Exception to Policy signature by the Dean.


Q:  What is the current allowance for meal expenses?

A:  Current allowances may be found on the UCSC Travel Guide under Meals and Incidental Expense Rates: Within and Outside Continental U.S.


Q:  What is the current allowance foreign per diem rates?  

A:  Foreign per diem rates may be found using the U.S. Department of State Office of Allowances website.  You may also reference the UCSC Travel Guide under Meals and Incidental Expense Rates: Within and Outside Continental U.S.


Q:  What are the receipt requirements including supporting documentation?  

A:  Receipt requirement information may be found on the UCSC Travel Guide under Receipt and Documentation Requirements.


Q:  What account code do I use?

A: The Account Codes Directory lists account codes by category.  If you are unsure about which account code to use, contact a Business Office employee.


Q:  Should I purchase travel insurance?

A: The university has arranged for employees and students traveling on official university business to be covered for a wide variety of accidents and incidents while away from the campus or primary workplace at no cost to the traveler or their unit. Key benefits of the travel program include the UC Trip Planner for planning your trip, travel alerts and emergency medical services, emergency travel services, information services and security evaluation services. The UCSC Travel Brochure and the Guidelines for UCSC Students Traveling Abroad provide additional information. For more information, visit the Risk Services Travel Insurance page.



If you would like to submit a question to be added to the FAQs, please email the Business Office.